Indian Singers

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sonu Nigam(Star Interviews - BBC Online)

Discovered by the late business tycoon Gulshan Kumar, this young star has now established himself as one the most popular singers in the industry. With his musical TV show already a huge success all over the globe what lies ahead for the very handsome Sonu Nigam?

Rajni: Sonu, what’s it like being a heartthrob? Everywhere you go girls are crazy about you!
Sonu: Thanks for that Rajni, but I really don’t know why that is. My dad and my brother in law deal with all my fan mail - I don’t go to clubs or parties, I just do my work and come home.

Rajni: But you seem to be different from other singers as the female fan following that you have is on a par with the film stars.
Sonu: I really don’t know why Rajni. Actually I’m blushing and I don’t know what to say but I don’t think that I’m that different from other singers.

Rajni: Would you go for an arranged marriage or would you find your own partner?
Sonu: When I was younger I always said that I’d never get married and I wouldn’t want to bring children in to this world where there is so much unhappiness. But my views have changed now and I would go for a love marriage and find my own partner, someone who would respect my family and also respect other religions. I’m sorry to say that today there are so many people who only respect their own religions, but expect others to respect theirs. Also, my partner doesn’t have to be a great singer…

Rajni: ...but has to have an interest in music as music plays a large part in your life?
Sonu: Yes, definitely.

Rajni: Sonu this really surprises me because throughout the interview the impression that one gets is that you’d go for a traditional marriage instead of a love marriage.
Sonu: Rajni that’s a good question. Most people are surprised when they learn that I’d go for a love marriage.

Rajni: Do you believe in love at first sight?
Sonu: Yes.

Rajni: Have you noticed a change in attitude from filmmakers and music directors towards you now that you achieved fame and success as compared to when you started out?
Sonu: The attitude is the same but now I can ask which actor I’m singing for and I like to know about the story. When I started out I never had the guts to ask.

Rajni: Did you realise when your TV show Sa Re Ga Ma started out that it would become a huge success around the globe?
Sonu: No, I was very nervous because it was something totally different. We had entertainment shows but nothing like this as it involved a slower pace with different types of music like classical, pop etc. Above all, it involved finding new talent. But it’s a wonderful feeling to see that Sa Re Ga Ma has been appreciated.

Rajni: Presenting a show like Sa Re Ga Ma, you’ve had the chance of meeting some of the biggest names from music. What has been your most memorable highlight?
Sonu: I’ve been very lucky and God has been very kind to me, but meeting Naushad Saab was very special.

Rajni: When you sing in front of big star guests aren’t you nervous?
Sonu: Yes I’m always nervous especially when you’re singing a song by Naushad Saab knowing that he’s sitting right there watching you recite his original song.

Rajni: When you take the show on the road outside India, does it surprise you to see the response that you get?
Sonu: Yes, always. It’s wonderful to see the love that you receive from people all over the world. It really amazes me.

Listener: Sonu, I’m coming to India soon and I’d like to know how to get an audition for Sa Re Ga Ma because I really want to become a singer.
Sonu: About Sa Re Ga Ma, I’m quitting the show. In fact, I already have quit the show.

Rajni: Sonu, did I just hear what I thought I heard?
Sonu: Yes Rajni, you are the first people to know. Even in India no journalist knows this.

Rajni: This announcement is an exclusive?
Sonu: Like I said, you’re the first to know.

Rajni: What made you decide to quit? Is it because you’ve already taken the show to ultimate heights of success?
Sonu: No, it’s not that. After doing the show for nearly five years, it was becoming very difficult to manage my singing and ‘Sa Re Ga Ma at the same time. With filming schedules, all I was doing was to travel all the time and I was away from my family most of the time, plus I want to spend more time on my singing.

Rajni: Will they scrap Sa Re Ga Ma now?
Sonu: No they won’t. It’s a wonderful show and will continue to be so and I wish the whole unit all the best. It was fantastic working with all of them.

Rajni: So where does Sonu Nigam go from here?
Sonu: I know that I’m destined for something else, but I don’t know what. I know that there’s something else that I’m destined to besides singing, but at the moment I really don’t know what it is.

Interview by Rajni Sharma
Filmi Duniya, BBC Asian Network

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home