Indian Singers

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sonu Nigam's Interview

Sonu Nigam is now an actor. He seems to love acting as much as his singing now.

Recently he even cancelled a recording to accommodate his shooting schedule. This at a time, when he has set a record for singing 36 songs in a day, remixes, but nevertheless a feat by itself. Excerpts from an interview with the singer turned star.:

Why was the necessity to shift stance form singing to acting?
In case you are not aware, I have been an actor before. I have acted as a child artiste in many films playing young Rakesh Roshan, Sunny Deol, Mithun Chakraborthy among others. So I had acted before. It was not as if I had not faced the camera ever.

No, our question is why did you shift, when you were doing so well?
See, I have not shifted. I am still singing. I have been besieged with offers ever since I have been doing TVS Sa Re Ga Ma. I was originally supposed to be acting in Shekhar Kapur's film Tararumpumpum. But ever since he shifted base to Hollywood, the film never worked out. Meanwhile I had been singing. My singing got noticed, I got good offers to sing and TVS Sa Re Ga Ma happened leading to me getting acting offers again.

How did you feel taking on a risk like this at a time in your career?
Though singing has always been my passion and ambition, I like undertaking new ventures. My exposure in video albums and hosting the Sa Re Ga Ma show on the small screen, had already brought me into lime-light. As it is, casting new faces became a trend in 2000. Many new comers like Hrithik Roshan and Abhishek Bachchan conquered the show. So I know that I am on a tough ground. I was the best when it came to music videos. I am reasonably well off as a singer. But here, I will be compared with the best even though I am just starting off. People like Amitabh Bachchan, Dilip Kumar and recently Hrithik and Abhishek have done well. I will be pitted against them, voluntarily or involuntarily.

Which are the movies that you are currently doing?
Currently I am doing Raj Kumar Kohli's Jaani Dushman. I am also doing a Raj Babbar movie and a few other movies, which I wouldn't like to unveil so soon. I am simply enjoying each and every movie that I am doing presently. I would not jump into doing too many films now.

How do you feel, facing the camera as an actor?
I am nervous but at the same time happy. I at times feel the loss of confidence, when all the arc lights are more on me. But Raj Kumar Kohli has enabled me to become camera friendly by regularly boosting up my confidence, and I am at ease while mouthing my dialogues.

We heard you did a very risky shot in this film Jaani Dushman...
Yeah, one of the shots I did was a great dare devilry. I am not a swimmer. In the movie there is a particular fight and a chase scene here I and Akki (Akshay Kumar), are in speed boats. I was all alone riding my boat with an average speed of 15 to 20, whereas Akki zoomed in full speed. A helicopter which was hovering above me cajoled me to go faster and finish the scene but I was mentally unprepared. They were talking with each other about my fear on their walkie-talkies. I had a handset with me and I could hear their conversations. That made me very aggressive. I set the boat on a high speed and only manoeuvred the steering wheel. I matched the speed with Akki, as the unit was taken aback, all were wondering whether I will injure myself or crash land. Thank God everything went right.

Is this your first film?
As for facing the camera, yes it's my first film as hero. Otherwise, I have first signed Ramesh Taurani's three films and then Devgan's to be directed by Akashdeep. But they haven't started as yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home