Indian Singers

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sonu Nigam's says "I love everything to do with paneer"

He came to Mumbai from Delhi to do playback singing and has become, instead, one of the most popular pop artistes today. His last album Deewana was a smash hit and his latest, Jaan, has had unprecedented sales already. The singer with his boyish good looks hosts the programme Sa re ga ma on Zee TV and the entire female population across the continents is his fan. But he's a simple boy at heart, straightforward, honest and hardworking.

What keeps him going apart from music? "Where food is concerned, paneer in any form is my favourite," he tells us. I'm not a great restaurant-goer and if I go I always let my companion order the food because I just don't know what to order. I must have eaten the same dishes hundreds of times but I never bother to find out what I'm eating and which restaurant I'm at. So I can't tell you if I have a favourite restaurant.

"I love butter chicken and tandoori chicken and I'm a good cook too. In fact when I first came to Mumbai from Delhi, I was 17 years old. I lived alone and cooked for myself. I can cook everything including parathas!

"My favourite cuisine is Indian and Chinese because of the balance of spices and sauces. I love eating non-vegetarian food in North India particularly in Delhi. If we entertain at home we normally serve Indian food. If I have a choice I enjoy buffets because there's so much variety to choose from and it's more fun saying 'no I don't want this'.

"Today if I'm alone at home I wouldn't cook even though I can, I'd order in. Earlier I used to make things like aloo ki sabji, burji, dal, or an omelette. I love everything to do with paneer, paneer makhanwala, paneer ka kofta. I also love sweets and my favourite is gulab jamun with ice cream. And yes, I don't get fat because I have so much nervous energy to expend. I eat parathas or a cheese sandwich for breakfast. I go to the gym at Guestline Days (a hotel in Juhu, Mumbai).


When I'm at a restaurant I dislike eating appetisers and starters, it kills my appetite. I hate it when there are gaps between different courses because that too kills my appetite. I never drink water in between meals - always before or after a meal. I never choose the food we eat - that makes everyone around me mad but I end up having the best food because everyone else orders the speciality of that particular restaurant."

As told to Lata Khubchandani

Source:http://www.geocities.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home